Wednesday, May 2

Girls With Pipes


Today was a pretty cool day at work, busy as hell but still great. I lifted a lot of caskets today, those suckers are heavy. Luckily only one was full, but I did have to lift that one a few times...good thing I got nice pipes. The thing about this business it that I tend to have a fair bit of time to think. I often find myself standing silently, or driving quietly while surrounded by tons of strangers. My mind tends to wander a bit. So there I was getting out of the drivers seat of the limo, opening doors for the family I was carrying, when I noticed something cool. The 3 people running the show were myself and 2 other women....Now to really see the coolness in this scenerio, you may have to condsider that it was a funeral service. I was following the 6 men carrying the casket to the graveside, which was quite a jaunt might I add, when I noticed the rear was starting to droop substantially. Somewhere in my head I recalled hearing that if you see this happening, step up and give em a hand. Well, thats what I did. For a brief second the fellow on the back right looked back relieved, noticed I was female and looked shocked, then again the look of relief, knowing that it was his corner that was becoming to heavy to hold. It felt good, the whole day was a feel good experience for me. My first family pick up, my first time ushering, my first time driving a family to the graveside, and my first time driving them home. It's not that you really get to know people, but something definately happens when there is trust and comfort shared during a rough time...I am loving my new career.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dead bodies are heavy???

calamityjenn said...

Funny I know...for some reason it's like dead weight though.